You start with the Rift Walkers squad. Additional squads are unlocked by completing Achievements. Each completed achivement earns 1 coin.
Each squad has a custom paint job. Unlocked mech colors can be applied to other squads.
Random Squads and Custom Squads
Once a second squad is acquired, the option to create a randomized squad or a customized squad opens up.
A Custom Squad allows for the selection of any Mechs that have been unlocked, including multiple of the same class as well as multiple of the same Mech.
A Random Squad is created out of all the unlocked Mechs.
- The Balanced Roll option selects three unique Mechs from three of the five different classes (Prime, Brute, Ranged, Science, and Cyborg). The balanced squad won't have more than 4 weapons so this prevents the Flame Mech, Rocket Mech, Defense Mech, Gravity Mech, and Nano Mech from appearing together in a balanced squad.
- The Chaos Roll option has no restrictions on class, weaponry, or Mech combinations so you get a truly random squad.
- However, if you get duplicate Mechs with the same Passive ability, one of the duplicate Mechs will have the Passive and any power associated with it removed.
The Secret Squad becomes available after unlocking the 8 named squads. 25 Coins are required to unlock the Secret Squad. This means you have to complete all of the remaining Global and Squad based achievements.
List of squads
|Name||Affiliation||Slot 1||Slot 2||Slot 3||Mech Color||Unlock cost|
|Rift Walkers||Archive, Inc. A||Combat Mech||Cannon Mech||Artillery Mech||Default starting squad|
|Rusting Hulks||R.S.T. Corporation A||Jet Mech||Rocket Mech||Pulse Mech||2 Coins|
|Zenith Guard||Pinnacle Robotics A||Laser Mech||Charge Mech||Defense Mech||3 Coins|
|Blitzkrieg||Detritus Disposal A||Lightning Mech||Hook Mech||Boulder Mech||3 Coins|
|Steel Judoka||Archive, Inc. B||Judo Mech||Siege Mech||Gravity Mech||5 Coins|
|Flame Behemoths||R.S.T. Corporation B||Flame Mech||Meteor Mech||Swap Mech||5 Coins|
|Frozen Titans||Pinnacle Robotics B||Aegis Mech||Mirror Mech||Ice Mech||6 Coins|
|Hazardous Mechs||Detritus Disposal B||Leap Mech||Unstable Mech||Nano Mech||6 Coins|
|Secret Squad||Secret||Techno-Beetle||Techno-Hornet||Techno-Scarab||25 Coins|
|Custom Squad||n/a||Any||Any||Any||Custom||unlock a 2nd Squad|
|Random Squad||n/a||Random||Random||Random||Random||unlock a 2nd Squad|
- Each Squad has their own achievements to unlock, including the Random Squad and Custom Squad.
- An early build of the game didn't include the achievement requirements to unlock squads.
- The Rift Walkers were originally named the Rough Riders.